Specific rules have been set down which govern the techniques that can be used during a Muay Thai fight. The primary reason for this is to ensure the safety of the fighters.
Here’s a list of illegal moves in Muay Thai:
- Headbutting or biting
- Eye Gouging
- Any form of arm lock
- Hip throws. This is a type of judo throw where you turn your back to your opponent, step across in front of their leg and pull them over your hip.
- Deliberately falling on your opponent when they’re on the ground.
- Any form of strike to the groin area. A boxer who’s been hit in the groin may request a five minute break before resuming the fight.
- Attacking your opponent after the referee has halted the match
- Holding onto the ropes
- Use of abusive language such as swearing
- Any form of wrestling or ground fighting
- Deliberate strikes to the knee or elbow joints
- Grabbing an opponent from behind to lift them up in order to throw them
- No rugby style tackle take downs
Some of the techniques can result in the referee issuing a warning, deducting points and even disqualifying the offending fighter.